Kennedy O'Callagahan Architects
Visitor Centre Stow Maries Essex
Shortlisted design proposal for a new visitor centre for Stow Maries Aerodrome Essex.
The aerodrome is remarkable as it contains the largest known surviving group of Royal Flying Corps WWI buildings. The site was abandoned shortly after the war and therefore the buildings were not adapted for further military use. The site reverted to agricultural use and most of the buildings proved sufficiently useful that they were maintained for over 90 years until they were made known to English Heritage in 1997 and listed grade 2*.
Twenty-four of the buildings noted on the Ordnance Survey (OS) map of 1920, remain, including the Officers' Mess and Reception Building.
The proposed visitor centre was inspired by the dramatic prairie type landscape
dominated by uninterrupted views of the Essex sky. It would have a strong affiliation with nature through use of natural materials, natural light, natural ventilation and nature inspired motifs.
An exhibition would interpret the aerodrome's history while offering panoramic views across the site.
Site in context of aerodrome
View from aerodrome